Pinehurst was founded by James Walker Tufts. He purchased 5,500 acres at around a dollar an acre in 1895 and opened the Holly Inn that New Year’s Eve. The first golf course was laid out between 1897-1898, and the first championship held at Pinehurst was United North and South Amateur Championship of 1901. Pinehurst’s best known course, Pinehurst No.2 was completed in 1907 based off designs by Donald Ross, who was associated with Pinehurst for nearly half a century. Today, a statue of him is present and they have it positioned specifically to look out, over course number two.
The resort now has eight golf courses, three hotels, a spa and extensive sports and leisure facilities. In 1996, Pinehurst was designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior. It was ranked as the world’s largest golf resort by the Guinness World Records before it was surpassed by Mission Hills Golf Club in China. Specifically courses 2, 4 and 8 are ranked among the world’s best. One great fact about Pinehurst Resort is that now it is known for its great championship golf play, but long ago it was the site of the very first miniature golf course.
In the future, course No. 2 will host the U.S. Open and the U.S. Women’s Open Championships in the year 2014. This will be the first time ever that these championships will both be held at the same course, in the same year. Pinehurst Resort has hosted more championships than any other club in the country.